Dried tomatoes in butter and spices are good on their own, and in cereals, salads. Sandwiches with them are a feast for the eyes, breakfast with tomatoes and herbs on toasted bruschetta is the dream of any gourmet.
Sun-dried tomato is not too dry. It retains all its useful qualities. Under the right conditions, it can be stored for a long time, in winter it will be an excellent substitute for “plastic” tomatoes from the supermarket.
Cooking is not difficult at all: in the oven or dryer for fruits and vegetables. How long to cook and what spices to add – these nuances are described below.
Life hack: How to make a fruit dryer from the refrigerator: a visual aid
Which tomatoes to choose for drying
Fleshy varieties the size of a walnut or a matchbox are what you need. These are cream, cherry tomatoes and cocktail tomatoes.
Larger ones will have to be cut into several pieces and seeds removed. Only meatiness should remain.
Dried Tomatoes: Dryer Recipe
To cook sun-dried tomatoes in a dryer, it will take 8-12 hours and sterilized jars.
They take as many tomatoes as they see fit, but only taking into account the volume of the electric dryer. In those devices that are used for the home, it is 4-5 kg. Although there are others.
Drying out, the tomato wrinkles and loses volume. Depending on the juiciness of vegetables, sometimes more than 10 times. Often, 400-500 g of dried tomatoes come out of 4-5 kg of fresh tomatoes.
If you plan to prepare more, experienced housewives transfer the dried fruits to other pallets, compacting them in this way. And in those that have been released, they lay out fresh slices and, as they cook, take them out one by one. Try it that way too.
Informative article: How to choose a fruit dryer?
- 4-5 kg of tomatoes;
- 300-400 ml of any vegetable oil, preferably from an olive;
- salt and spices;
- 3-5 garlic cloves of your choice
According to the classics, in the Italian version, tomatoes are poured with olive oil. If you keep it in the refrigerator, it crystallizes. And that’s okay. After standing for some time at room temperature, the oil will become liquid again. You can take refined sunflower. It does not crystallize when cold. It has a neutral taste.
Of the spices, Italian or Provence herbs are best, but you can replace with any other to taste.
Helpful Tips: How to make marshmallows in the dryer – 4 points that affect color, taste and appearance
Before drying the tomatoes in the dryer, they need to be washed and cut in half. Remove the base and white veins, if any. Assess how watery the fruit is. If there is a lot of juice and seeds, it is better to take out the middle with a spoon and leave only the pulp near the peel. Salt. If desired, add spices so that immediately after drying the tomatoes are spicy. Or add spices later, along with the oil.
- Spread the slices on pallets with the cut side up. Lay as tight as possible. Put the pallets on the dryer and close the lid.
- Set temperature and timer. Better to start at 40 degrees. Gradually increase to 50-70°C, but no more.
- Periodically check the condition of the fruit. If the dryer is with vertical blowing, you need to change the trays from time to time. It will take 8 to 12 hours for the tomatoes to become sun-dried.
- Take the tomatoes out of the dryer. Let them cool down.
- At this time, prepare the dressing. Add spices to the oil and heat the mixture a little, without bringing to a boil. You just need to warm it up a little, under the influence of temperature, the aroma of seasonings will be better revealed.
- Cut or mince the garlic. Add to spicy oil.
- Take a jar, if you plan to store it for a long time, then be sure to sterilize it. Put a little garlic on the bottom, a layer of sun-dried tomatoes on top. Tamp. Salt (if you did not do this at the beginning). Pour each layer with fragrant oil, filling to the eyeballs and tightly close the lid.
The result should be a full jar of tightly packed tomatoes mixed with garlic. All this should be filled with oil and spices to the brim. It is important that all tomatoes are covered with liquid.
Read: How to sterilize jars in the microwave: 3 effective methods
How long to dry tomatoes in the dryer
On average, 8-10 hours. The juicier the fruit, the more time it will take. Much depends on the set temperature.
One more nuance. Not all fruits dry evenly. To make sun-dried tomatoes in the dryer, it is important to check doneness periodically. The tomato is ready when it has already significantly decreased in size, when you press it, no liquid comes out and the pulp is quite elastic.
If you overcook the tomatoes, you get vegetable chips. If you do not dry it out, mold may appear during long-term storage due to excess moisture.
How to store sun dried tomatoes
Figuring out how to cook sun-dried tomatoes in the dryer is only half the battle. It is important to save them correctly, otherwise all efforts are in vain.
Banks in which the finished product is laid out must be hermetically sealed. If moisture and air do not get in, the workpiece is stored longer. You can leave it in the refrigerator or in a dark pantry, in a drawer or closet on the balcony, in the hallway, cellar, garage.
After opening, keep the jar tightly closed in the cold. If you follow the recommendations in this article, sun-dried tomatoes will stand until the next harvest.
Note to housewives: TOP 6 features of how to dry apples in the microwave