Competing Chinese brands try not to be inferior to each other in anything. Smartphones please the eye with a pleasant design, good “stuffing”, photo and video capabilities. They have a lot of cool features, so it’s so hard to choose which is better: OPPO or Xiaomi?
We compare phones from two manufacturers to find out who is “on the horse” and whose product is better left on the shelf in the store. Let’s delve into the features of the models, find the advantages and not overlook the disadvantages.
Another comparison: Which is better: iPhone or Samsung – which of the 2 smartphones to choose?
Which phone is better: Xiaomi or OPPO?
Before drawing conclusions, a detailed analysis of the devices should take place. We will consider in detail what series are produced, whether there is a difference in parameters and appearance, what about the price of the devices. Below the text, we will dwell on each point and summarize at the end.
Companies are trying to adapt to the different needs of users. Give one a gadget for games, another – a simpler “ringer”, and a third – so that you can take cool photos and “saw” dyosos for social networks. Therefore, brands produce several series of smartphones:
Recently, in 2020, another trademark was “departed” from Xiaomi – POCO. Previously, the company was represented as a sub-brand of Xiaomi. The F, X, M and C “pocophone” lines feature smartphones with a display of more than 6 inches, a capacious battery and a good amount of memory.
Both brands clearly follow the latest trends — to install main modules with several sensors in smartphones. Depending on the model, they can be from 2 to 4 pcs. on the back cover of the phone. The only exception was the tenth Mi Note, in which the manufacturer managed to install a 5-module unit.
The main camera in Xiaomi has a significant number of megapixels, up to 108 MP, as in the Xiaomi 11T. Super- and ultra-wide, macro, TV — everything is available. The devices have separate modes for night shooting and portraits. Video in 4K (the 11 Pro series can shoot in 8K), slow-mo videos, zooming of frames is not a problem. Even budget Redmis have very decent photo and video capabilities.
OPPO is slightly inferior in the number of megapixels in the main photo module, the indicator is in the range of 48-64 MP. Budget players like the OPPO A15s shoot only FHD videos. The maximum filming resolution is up to 4K. The depth sensor, ultra-wide, telephoto lens, macro will be present all together or separately depending on the class and model of the selected device.
The front panel of smartphones of both brands is placed either in a drop-shaped cutout at the top of the screen, or on the left in a small “hole”. The maximum number of megapixels is 20 or more, the minimum is 2-5 megapixels.
While Xiaomi still equips its gadgets with a single front camera, OPPO offers several options with a dual module. In the Reno line, there are models in which the second lens acts as a depth sensor, that is, it “blurs” the background when shooting portraits. All phones have photo beautifiers, AI and software algorithms responsible for adding colors and sharpening photos work well.
Read and find out: ORRO A52: an overview of 10 parameters on which the authority of a smartphone rests
Iron and “stuffing”
Both Xiaomi and Oppo prefer to use MediaTek or Snapdragon chips in smartphones. These platforms are optimized for Android. The latest models of both brands come with 8-core processors (for example, Xiaomi Note 10 Pro and OPPO A54). There is no shortage of productivity and smoothness of work.
When deciding what to buy, OPPO or Xiaomi, pay attention to the generation and features of the installed chip. For example, the Xiaomi Note 10 Pro 6/64Gb runs on Snapdragon 732G, which allows the smartphone to “pull” even demanding online games. Whereas budget Xiaomi devices are most often equipped with energy-efficient, but less productive processors in games.
Budget OPPOs use more affordable MediaTek chips (for example, Helio P35, as in the OPPO A15s Black). For gamers, this option is unlikely to be suitable, but for everyday tasks – just the same. Representatives of the top Reno and Find lines are equipped with flagship Snapdragons.
The amount of RAM in rival brands depends on the device class. On average, budget employees have from 2 to 4 gigabytes. Flagships have 8-12 GB. The maximum size of the built-in storage reaches 256-512 gigs.
At the same time, Xiaomi in the latest Mi 11 and Mi 10, Black Shark 4S Pro and other flagships refused to install a microSD slot for internal memory expansion. OPPO also did not foresee this possibility in some models from the top lines.
You may be interested: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro: review of 8 parameters and features
The latest models of both brands have large display diagonals. Screen sizes start at 6.1″ and approach the 6.8″ mark. Even “mid-range” OPPO devices, such as the A54 Starry Blue, have a 6.5-inch display. Screens occupy from 86 to 90 percent or more of the front panel. This means that the frames around them are as thin as possible.
The most popular matrices used by these manufacturers are “Amoled”, “Super AMOLED” and IPS. Therefore, everything is fine with the color, contrast and viewing angles of the gadget screens. Xiaomi went a little further and in some models, for example, the Redmi K40 Gaming, used an OLED display that is more energy efficient, bright and sharp than its counterparts.
The screens of individual OPPO models “Find” and “Reno” are protected by Gorilla Glass version 6. It provides good resistance to scratches and shocks. Xiaomi also uses Gorilla Glass, the same sixth version or earlier, in some smartphones. But in Mi 11 and Redmi Note Pro installed an even cooler display protection — Gorilla Glass Victus. Against v6, scratch resistance is doubled.
As for the hertzing of the screen, the maximum indicators of “Oppo” are 120 Hz. On average, models are produced with a display refresh rate of 60-90 Hz. Xiaomi also adheres to these parameters in its devices. The exception is the Black Shark gaming series, which have 144 Hz.
Both competitors last well for a day without recharging. Most OPPO and Xiaomi models have a battery capacity of 4000-5000 mAh and a little more. Top Xiaomi can offer a 6000 mAh battery.
At the same time, the autonomy of gadgets largely depends on:
- display brightness and refresh rate,
- energy efficiency of the installed chipset,
- specifics of tasks solved by the device during the day.
All smartphones are charged in a standard way – through a USB cable and a block for a certain number of watts. Brands also offer options that support fast, wireless and reversible charging. One model can have everything together or only individual capabilities. On average, Xiaomi and Oppo recharge the battery from 0 to 100% in an hour (with fast charging).
Can help: 6 reasons why the smartphone discharges quickly
Chips and features
Xiaomi phones immediately attract attention with their stylish and original appearance. Even in budget models, the brand tries to surprise users with a textured “back” or a larger one in a choice of body colors. What can we say about the flagships, which can have a 3D-curved glass back panel, a new-fashioned gradient and an interesting placement of photo modules.
In addition, Xiaomi mobile phones have:
- Own MIUI shell. It is based on “Android”, but, according to user reviews, it is better than the shells of other companies. For example, the icons visually resemble those of Apple. MIUI has a lot of options for user settings, there is a convenient and economical battery charging “Dark theme”. With each new update, new chips are added to the shell, for example, pop-up windows appeared in version 11, 12 adaptation mode, when the smartphone adjusts the saturation of shades and even the thickness of inscriptions depending on the time of day.
- IR port. Many top Mi, 11 series models, mid-budget “Redmi” have the ability to control household appliances using a mobile phone. The IR port also turns the device into a universal remote control.
- A camera with a bunch of cool stuff. For example, the ability to shoot double video, AI-beautifiers and unique effects for cool photos. In some models of the front camera, there is a sensor for recognizing the owner on the face.
Rival company OPPO is also not far behind in terms of design. It can be the corrugated texture of the case, both in OPPO A53 Fancy Blue, and the beautiful iridescence of different shades on the back cover. The brand also experiments with the main block of photo modules, placing it in a compact square, then in an elongated die, then in a rounded pedestal.
As for other features of OPPO, it should be noted:
- ColorOS branded shell. It works on the basis of “Android”, but it also has its own cool things. For example, several modes of animation for scrolling screens, its own set of gestures, a separate secure section for storing files, which can be accessed after scanning a fingerprint or facial recognition.
- The presence of a game mode. When Game Space is activated, settings are included that increase the performance of the smartphone, improve the quality of graphics, sound and other parameters important for comfortable gaming.
- Specially designed AI Selfie Tune. Improves the image and does not distort colors during filming on the front camera. The algorithm clearly recognizes each person in the photo and processes it individually.
- Customizable widget panel. Through “Settings” you can create your own quick launch menu of the necessary applications. Smart-panel opens from the side of the screen if you pull from the edge to the center.
Both companies introduce interesting features in each released model. For example, the OPPO A54 Crystal Black has optimized night charging, the AI calculates the time so that the battery is fully charged before the user wakes up. Xiaomi equipped its 11 T with ultra-fast 67-watt charging, which will replenish the battery’s energy reserves to 100% in a little more than half an hour.
The price of the device depends on many factors. Of course, the brand itself plays a role. But the price also varies significantly depending on the class of smartphone (budget, top, gamer, etc.). In addition, the same model may have a different amount of memory, the presence or absence of 5G.
Yes, the approximate cost of devices:
- People on a budget – in “Siaomi” you can find options from 3,000 to 5,000 hryvnias. Oppo sets a price tag of 4,800 to 7,000 UAH even for the A series.
- Confident “middle-class” – devices from the K and F series of the company OPPO will cost buyers UAH 7,000 and more. “Xiomi” sets the price range from UAH 6,500 to UAH 9,000.
- Top-of-the-line flagships of both brands sell for 10,000 UAH and can reach 20,000 or more in value.
With the release of each new model in the line, the price tag for the previous ones is significantly reduced.
OPPO or Xiaomi: pros and cons of phones
What is Xiaomi praised for:
- Excellent photo modules — provide stable quality of pictures in different lighting conditions, allow you to play with photos and videos in an interesting way.
- “Smart” screen – determines the required level of brightness depending on the lighting around. The company takes care of users by installing special modes in displays to reduce eye strain.
- Powerful sound – the latest models are equipped with stereo speakers. Some variants have Dolby Atmos technology for better sound.
- Good autonomy is not only a large battery capacity, but also the use of special technologies to optimize energy consumption. A plus is the presence of fast charging.
What Xiaomi models can be scolded for:
- “Gluttony” of the proprietary shell – most often, 2-3 gigs of RAM are no longer enough for stable system operation without lags and brakes. That is why even budget workers are increasingly equipped with 4 GB of RAM;
- Lack of full moisture protection in flagships — not all top devices are protected according to the standard that protects the phone from complete immersion in water. The body is protected from splashes and dust.
- The presence of advertisements in the branded shell is sometimes very intrusive, and even standard utilities take up a lot of device memory.
The OPPO smart line also has enough fans who appreciate the devices:
- large and bright displays, on them it is convenient to scroll through the news feed, make changes to electronic docks, communicate via video communication and watch a movie;
- good cameras – many gadgets can be safely classified as camera phones for the super features they give to selfie lovers;
- flexible shell – does not slow down during operation, is convenient and understandable, even if it is the first time you have picked up an OPPO smartphone.
As soon as the OPPO phones did not happen:
- the appearance of intrusive advertising in the firmware, starting with the latest released novelties;
- due to the lack of stereo speakers in some flagships, for example, RENO 5, while the budget ones like the OPPO A53 Electric Black have them.
In general, the presence or absence of certain defects depends on the specific model of a particular brand. There are positives and negatives to be found in every device. Therefore, which phone is better: OPPO or Xiaomi, only users can decide. The richness of the model range makes it possible to choose an option for any budget and task.
What measures to take: What to do if the phone fell into water: 3 possible problems after getting wet