What is important to know
On iPhone and iPad, Data Saver limits the amount of data you use over cellular and Wi-Fi. When this mode is activated, automatic background download and installation of updates are disabled, data transfer for closed applications and backups are stopped. In addition, the quality of content is reduced when streaming video and music.
Android devices also have a data saving mode. In this case, background data transfer for most of the system is available only via Wi-Fi, and mobile Internet is used in active applications and services.
You can quickly enable or disable data saving on smartphones with a “clean” version of Android without additional add-ons, as well as on gadgets from Samsung, OnePlus and some other brands.
Manufacturers of other devices add settings to their firmware to control traffic consumption without a specialized mode. So you have to regulate each application separately.
Saving traffic can be useful in some cases, but not always. For example, it can cause you to miss important notifications and updates. But all the established data transfer restrictions are quite simple to deactivate.
How to disable data saving mode on iOS
- Go to “Settings” and select the “Cellular” section.
- Click on “Data Options” and in this menu, turn off the “Data Saver” mode, if it is active.
- Return to the main settings and select the Wi‑Fi section.
- Click the information icon next to the name of the active network your device is connected to.
- Turn off “Data Saver” for this type of connection as well.
How to disable data saving on devices with “clean” Android
- Open the Settings app on your smartphone.
- Go to the “Network and Internet” section.
- Click on the “Traffic Saver” item.
- Deactivate the “Enable data saving” setting.
How to disable data saving on Samsung devices
- Open the basic settings of your smartphone.
- Go to the “Connections” section.
- Select the “Data Usage” subsection.
- In the menu, click on the “Traffic Saver” item.
- Deactivate the corresponding setting by moving the switch.
How to turn off data saving mode on MIUI devices
- Open the Security app.
- Scroll down the page that opens and click on the “Data Transfer” button.
- Click on the settings icon in the upper right corner.
- In the “Data transfer settings” section, disable the “Traffic control” item.